11.9.05

(Official Rant #1) What is it with cupholders?

/rant

Ever notice that the cupholders in cars absolutely suck? They're either domestic and big enough to hold wine barrels or they're the import sized shot glass holders. What's the deal? My previous import cars were all inadequate to hold anything properly. For example, I used to drive a 90's Honda Civic. There were so many things wrong with the cup holder in this car:

* It was located right in front of the stick shift, making it impossible not to knock that already wobbly fountain drink onto the floor board while shifting into 3rd or 5th gear.

* You couldn't fit two bottles/cups/containers next to each other. So, whoever the lucky person was in the passenger seat got to hold theirs between their legs or hold theirs AND mine because not only wouldn't it fit in the cupholder, but I was driving a manual transmission and couldn't hold it myself. Bad luck :(

* You couldn't fit anything taller than a pepper shaker there because the radio was directly above it. Who the hell designed this? The Keebler elves?

Now I own a domestic. You'd think I'd be happier with larger cup holders, but unfortunately this is not the case. Sure, if I'm drinking out of a milk jug, I'm good to go, but let's face it - drinking from milk jugs is so 90's. Pfft.

Everything I like to drink just hates my cupholders and winds up leaning against my leg when I make a right hand turn. Ridiculous.

At this point you're saying to yourself "He must not have been in a *insert make of car here*." Of course I've not done a cup holder test on all makes of cars, and why should I? Can't there be a standard size for all?

Maybe I have been shopping for vehicles incorrectly all these years. The next time I purchase a car this will be a top consideration only second to gas mileage.

/rant

No comments: