20.9.05

Dolby Headphone

Although it will never replace a real surround setup, Dolby labs has come up with a fantastic virtual 5.1 (but I use the ".1" loosely) for use with a normal set of headphones. This technology uses a highly sophisticated room modeling algorithm that mimics surround sound very convincingly.

Put on your headphones, and take a listen. Click on the orange headphones on the right of the page.



The flash demo: Very convincing for only two speakers. These types of demos REALLY sound amazing on a proper setup, but this particular demo surprised me with it's depth and spacial cues.

The trailer demo: Not much separation there. Depth was almost non existent also. A poor demo, in my opinion.

Super Speedway demo: Well, I own this particular dvd, so no matter what I'm going to be biased. This demo lets you know via text that's located above the movie whether it's in stereo or surround. Again, better than I thought it would be, but doesn't hold a candle to a proper setup. *note* if you enjoy auto racing at ALL and have a 5.1 system, this is a must-have dvd.

No comments: